Being in love is good for you. This should come as no surprise. When an animated character falls in love, they literally walk on air. When real people fall in love, they feel as if they could. But, this is that arrow to the heart, stay up until all hours on the phone, stare at the door until he walks in, early kind of love. What about love with a few wrinkles and sagging spots? It may not give you the adrenaline rush of new love, but you can still make it work for you from a health standpoint.
1. Married people have been shown in study after study to live longer and enjoy better health. More importantly, people in happy marriages, with less marital discord and stress, receive the most benefit.
For Your Health: Take Steps to Make Your Marriage a Happy One
2. Hugs and physical contact has been shown to boost the immune system, reduce stress and protect against heart disease.
For Your Health: Touch Your Partner More
3. Caring for others in a generous, unselfish way, has been shown to make us happier and healthier. This caring starts at home.
For Your Health: Genuinely Consider and Care About the Needs of your Spouse
4. Studies show people who are grateful live longer, better, healthier lives.
For Your Health: Be grateful for the love you receive.
5. An active, healthy sex life lowers blood pressure, improves sleep, and eases stress. It also goes a long way toward Tip #1 — make your marriage a happy one.
For Your Health: Have More Sex
IMPORTANT NOTE: Single people can achieve many of the same health benefits simply by maintaining strong relationships, focusing on gratitude and compassion and by simply loving yourself.